During my quest of living a more natural lifestyle i found elderberry syrup. A friend found some elderberry bushes growing in her yard and made a batch and I was HOOKED. Jacked up honey is another winter wellness staple that I recently fell in LOVE with (and is great to add to tea or coffee).
Last weekend I attended a make and take elderberry syrup and jacked up honey class-it was a blast, they were super simple to make, I learned a ton and came home with my own stash!
Elderberries have been used for years by Native Americans and even in Ancient Egypt. Today its used as a supplement. In the middle ages it was considered a "holy tree" due to its ability of health and longevity. There are several different varieties and need to be cooked before eaten because the raw berries, bark and the leaves of the plant are known to be poisonous and can cause stomach problems.
These powerful berries are packed with nutrition, powerful antioxidants, support heart health and immunity and low calorie.
- High in Vitamin C
- High in dietary fiber-fiber helps slow digestion which helps your body absorb nutrients more effectively
- High in flavonols -compounds great for heart and brain health
- High in phenolic acids-work as antioxidants
- Rich in anthocyanins-give plants rich dark purple/red color-powerful antioxidants
What are NingXia Wolfberries?
- Young Living’s Organic Dried Wolfberries are a sweet, organic snack from nature that’s easy to make a part of your daily diet.
- With polyphenols and polysaccharides, this exotic berry is touted around the world for its taste and nutrients.
- Powerful antioxidants.
Benefits of using local raw honey
- Has unique flavors that are lost when industrialized.
- Will insure that the honey has the allergens native to the area you live in.
- Buying local is better and not just because it reduces pollution and saves resources.
- Local, raw honey is full of all kinds of healthy ingredients. Industrial methods dilute the good stuff out.
- Quercetin, a component of honey, has been found in studies to reduce inflammation and pollen allergy symptoms. It stabilizes the cell membranes that release histamine, which triggers allergic reactions. Raw honey also contains bee pollen and bee propolis, which boosts the immune system, and builds immunity to allergens.
Due to being thee winter season, the organic dried elderberries were purchased on line, we used local honey and Young Living essential oils. Here are the recipes we used:
Jacked-Up Honey using only Young Living Essential Oils
4 oz raw honey
5 drops thieves vitality essential oil
2 drops peppermint vitality essential oil
4 drops lemon vitality essential oil
2 drops orange vitality essential oil
1 drop oregano vitality essential oil
Mix all the ingredients in a 4 oz glass mason jar.
Kids take 1 tsp once daily to support their immune system.
Adults can take more if needed for respiratory &/or extra immune support.
Safety- always use glass jars with essential oils.
Elderberry/Goji Berry Syrup using only Young Living vitality oils
Using an Instant Pot
½ C dried elderberries
½ C. dried goji (Wolf) berries
4 C. distilled water
Cover and pressure cook on HIGH for 7 min.
Allow to naturally release for 15 min.
Strain fruit from berries
Add fluid to Instapot and cook on saute on high and reduce fluid by half stirring frequently, approx. 15 min yielding 2 C.
-Add 1 C raw honey and stir to mix
When slightly cooled add 1 drop each of Young Living Vitality Oils:
- Thieves- has cinnamon bark, clove, eucalyptus radiata, lemon & rosemary
Optional- ginger, cinnamon bark, clove
Total yield = 3 C.
Store in glass jar and refrigerate, use w/in 1 month
1 tsp for children
1 Tbp for adults
We only recommend Young Living Vitality oils because they are labeled for internal use, non-gmo certified and safe to use. If you do not have a Young Living account-I can help you get Young Living essential oils AND wolfberries in your home at wholesale pricing. Reach out to me and I will help you!
Peace, harmony & essential oils,