I am ready, its time for change but every year I set new goals and every year...they don't happen. Sound familiar?
A new year is upon us and most of us are over 2020 but seriously thinking about the future. I have some great things for you to ponder about today and a surprise at the end of todays blog.
First some facts....
IN the US 50% of the population set New Years Resolutions or goals and only 10% keep them. For many people 2020 has been very difficult with forced changes and uncertainty.
Why do most people give up on their goals leading to their dreams so easily?
- Difficulty breaking old habits
- Focusing on specific outcomes
- Problems with purpose.
Achieving new goals typically means there are old habits to break and new ones to develop. This was difficult for a lot of this year as we were clinging to old and familiar habits to create some kind of stability during the pandemic. Our habits are built into our memory-this is like auto pilot-we do the things without even having to think about them. It makes it easier for us to stick with what we know and challenging when trying to develop new habits.
When we are focused too much on a specific outcome instead of the action steps-it is way to easy for us to quit. One example is someone who wishes to loose weight, they have a goal weight in mind-but as they step on the scale day after day and see no change-they want to give up.
If you are like me (or most people) you have a busy life. Chances are you don't have a lot of time to spend on activities you enjoy AND definitely don't have time for things that are not interesting to you or bring you joy. If you do not feel personally connected to your goal and it is not meaningful enough, its easier to give up.
“No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.” ~Buddha
How to slay your goals:
- Find and follow your purpose, avoid focusing on a specific outcome. For example, if you want to loose 40 pounds-don't focus on "loosing the weight" or the number. Make your focus about making healthier choices, incorporating exercise for vitality, energy and health. Focus on the activities and how they will make you feel, this way you will stick to the action steps that will lead you to your goal. Same with-wanting to be debt free-don't focus on the amount of debt, create a manageable plan that you can follow, month by month.
- Set SMART goals with a focus on realistic and achievable. Again if we are talking weight loss maybe you have a goal of walking on the treadmill 30 minutes, 4 days per week. I intend to drink 4 glasses of water daily. Focus on the realistic action step that YOU can do. I intend to use $100 per month to pay on credit card xyz.
- Connect and engage with like minded people. Community is HUGE when you are striving to better your life by working on goals to create the desired dream life you want. You need like minded people who will cheer you on, support you and encourage you to keep going when you want to quit. Sharing your goals with someone and having them share their goals with you helps you (and them) stay motivated AND you have accountability.
"Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go. They merely determine where you start." ~Nido Qubein
It does not matter what has happened in your past, what goals you tried and failed. It does not matter your goals, your desired dream life, your bank account or your current circumstance.
You DO need to take an honest assessment of where you are and where you want to go, this will help you set up the right goals for you. Most people want to make change but unsure where to start. Look at the present situation first, what are you struggling with that needs to change? Start there, just pick ONE thing if you are overwhelmed.
Here are some additional resources you may find helpful when setting your goals:
Goal Setting & How to achieve 4 MIN VIDEO
What truly matters is finding your purpose, setting the right goals and connecting and engaging with like minded people. You can change. You can slay your goals and create the life you want to live instead of Groundhogs day, year after year after year.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot." ~Micheal Altshuler
WELL GUESS WHAT! I have partnered with two other AMAZING women-Renee and Shawna and we have got YOU covered. Starting January 6, 2021 we will be bringing you weekly zooms every Wednesday evening.
Together, we are 3 oily sistas whom have been collaboratively living a Young Living lifestyle to support our wellness, purpose and abundance for 20 years. We have different backgrounds and experiences including holistic health, nutrition, essential oil, creating a healing home and fitness. It would be a disservice if we kept all this information to ourselves.
What does this mean for you?
- FREE weekly wellness education-different topics each week.
- Personalized wellness consults and goal setting (If you choose).
- A Community of like minded individuals.
- Support and mentorship.
- Yes, you can invite your friends and family.
We want to help you achieve your goals-it doesn't matter if it is wellness, purpose or abundance. We are here to educate, collaborate, support & celebrate you on your journey.